- Research the destination… this includes its local culture/customs, currency, and laws, to avoid misunderstandings. Learn about any areas that may be unsafe for tourists and avoid them if possible.
- Make sure you have a solid itinerary… and let someone back home know where you’ll be and when you’re expected to return so they can assist you in case of emergencies. Check out travel forums and blogs to get advice from other travelers who have already been (If you book with Luxe Tribes, we can take this one off your hands and provide an exciting itinerary perfect for your budget).
- Always carry digital and physical copies of important documents like your passport.
- Always make sure you have a data connection… having an eSiM or a way to connect to the internet is a must! You may need to make a call, book transportation, use a map, etc. Depending on where you’re going there may be no store you can pop into and connect to their Wi-Fi the way you can in North America.
- Use GPS-enabled maps and don’t hesitate to ask for help if you get lost… however, try and get a general idea of where you’re headed before you step outside every morning to avoid making yourself look like a target and download maps offline if you can.
- Keep an eye on your belongings and ensure they are always secure and within your sight.
- Trust your instincts and if something feels off, leave the situation IMMEDIATELY.
- Purchase travel insurance… depending on which country you are visiting sometimes it can be a good idea to share your itinerary with the local embassy so someone boots on the ground knows where you should be at any given time of the day/night.
- Stay in well-lit, busy areas at night… and avoid walking alone at night, especially in unfamiliar areas.
- Avoid displaying expensive jewelry or electronics… this can make you a target for theft or pickpocketing. Keep your valuables in a secure place, such as a hotel safe or leave them at home altogether.
- Always stay alert and aware of your surroundings and be aware of common local scams.
- Don’t carry large amounts of cash… at no point should someone look at you and think you’re a big-time baller (even though you may be). Bring what you need for the day and leave the rest in the safe at your accommodations.
- Be cautious when accepting drinks from strangers, and never leave your drink unattended.
- Create an alter ego story for yourself… and avoid sharing personal details or your travel itinerary with strangers. Naturally, walking around as a beautiful Black woman, especially in a country where there may not be a lot of Black people, you will draw attention and people will be curious about you. For your safety, think of a new job, place where you are from and tell people you have been to the county before so they don’t think they can take advantage of that fact.
- Use reputable transportation services, such as taxis or ride-sharing apps.
- Keep emergency contact information, including the nearest embassy or consulate, on hand… and know the local number for 911 in whatever country you are travelling to.
- Learn basic self-defense techniques… hopefully, you never have to pull them out, but it’s best to know how to protect yourself, especially when travelling alone.
- Keep your phone always charged and with you… it’s of no use to you dead! Your phone can provide a GPS, a way to call for help, a flashlight, an emergency wallet and so much more. Carry a portable charger in your bag, just in case!
- Be respectful of local customs and dress appropriately… when travelling to a new place, it’s important to dress conservatively to avoid unwanted attention. Try to blend in as much as you can.
- Tell people you are not there alone… there is nothing wrong with a little white lie, especially when it comes to protecting your safety. If asked, say you are with a group or heading to meet up with your brothers or husband.
- Learn simple greetings and gestures in the local language of the country you are visiting… this can go a long way in making connections with locals and showing that you respect their culture.
- Be confident! Walk with your head up high, strut like you have been there before and know where you are going (even if you don’t). Solo can be intimidating but remember that you are capable and strong. Be confident in yourself and your abilities.
Articles that you might like
Unparalleled luxury … that’s what you can expect from the moment you touchdown in the city of Dubai. Known for its grandeur and opulence Dubai is one of the most popular travel destinations in the world for good reason. There is no shortage of things to do in Dubai, but if you’re looking for the …
You did it! You booked the solo travel ticket and you’re getting ready to go on an exciting adventure and immerse yourself in the food, culture, and views of your chosen destination. Solo traveling can be incredibly rewarding and fun but it’s important to take precautions to ensure your safety. Whether it’s your first or …
Hola Chica! Are you ready for an unforgettable adventure in South America? Get ready to discover diverse cultures, stunning landscapes, great food, and breathtaking experiences that will leave you speechless! Keep reading to see our top five picks for South and Central America destinations to add to your bucket list. 1. Costa Rica $3,150 Per …
Are you looking for a unique and unforgettable way to celebrate your upcoming birthday? Look no further than Luxe Tribes’ top six destinations to travel for your birthday! From the dazzling city of Dubai to the serene beaches of Tulum, there is a destination perfect for you and your squad. Here are six destinations that …
If you are reading this and you are a bride-to-be, firstly, CONGRATULATIONS QUEEN!!! We love to hear about beautiful Black brides tying the knot and saying yes to happily ever after – somebody pass the tissues please! 🥲 With all the planning that comes with a wedding, let us take something off your plate and …
Picture this, you go on the vacation of your dreams, but without breaking the bank! Did you know Luxe Tribes offers customized private travel packages for black solo travelers, group travel, family getaways and couples based on your specific dates and budget? This means you can enjoy stress-free bucket list experiences curated by our team …
It’s never too early to start planning your next luxury adventure and with so many beautiful places around the world, it can be hard to narrow down the options. Look no further, we got you, Tribe! Our 2024 group trips calendar is live! Check out our line-up here. With over 40 Luxe Tribes adventures to …
Travel is invaluable for personal growth, and taking time to consider a group trip can help! Immersing yourself in new cultures, trying out new foods, visiting architectural and natural wonders, and building connections all help you learn and grow as a person. That said, traveling can be daunting. You might have the travel bug, while …
Have you ever thought about joining a black women’s travel group? One of the best parts of traveling and experiencing new cultures is sharing those experiences with others. We aren’t saying solo trips aren’t fulfilling, but building connections with like-minded people through shared moments can’t be replicated. Do you crave both a luxury travel experience …
A mother-daughter trip is a special and memorable experience that can strengthen the bond between mothers and daughters. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing beach vacation, a cultural immersion in a new city, or an adventurous outdoor trip, there are countless destinations and activities to choose from that can make your mother-daughter trip a unique …
Subscribe to our newsletter
Subscribe and be the first to know about our latest travel deals , new trip launches, blog posts and more.